Kirby Puckett

Kirby Puckett

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Complainathon Vol. III

     Before we start, I'm going to complain about how I'll be in San Diego for a wedding this weekend without access to a computer so I can't write anything. While we're at it, here's a pretty big myth going around, so let me clarify. Soccer isn't taking off in America. Is it just me, or is everybody doing the same thing we did four years ago?
     Another thing that annoys me: Literally everything about Derek Jeter. Ok, go ahead, talk about his "class" and "professionalism" and how he "plays the game the right way" I'll concede those points. He seems like a genuinely nice guy. Here's what isn't: An all-star. Feel free to try to convince me otherwise. When someone tries to tell me he should be an all-star it usually goes something like this.
Person I'm talking to: Derek Jeter should be an all-star!
Me: No he shouldn't.
PITT: But it's his last season!
Me: And your point is....?
PITT: That is my point.
Me: So you think just because he's had a great career he should make the team, ignoring the fact that his slash line is currently .271/.325/.329.
PITT (eyes watering up): Yes, but he has such dignity, and class. He's.... The Captain.
Ok, I made up the last line, but all the others are true. While we're on Jeter, let's look at probably the two most iconic plays in his career.
     The first one I'm talking about is the dive. Of course, the only still picture you ever see is this. But does that one image really tell the whole story? Not if you actually look at the play. The picture you always see is him going into the seats, implying that he dove in to catch the ball. And if everyone makes such a big deal out of it, he must have done something spectacular, right? Nope. Don't get me wrong, it's a really good play, or as Dick Bremer would call it, "a fine running grab" And if he had been paying attention to it we would have forgotten about it later. But instead, he takes three full steps and one weird mini step, and trips over the wall. Slightly different than how Yankees fans paint it.
     How about the flip? Now there's a great play, from him cutting the ball off all the way until....wait. Giambi should have been safe. Look at the 40 second mark of this clip and look at when Posada tags him. He gets him on the knee after he's crossed the plate. Why don't we think of this as a bad call and instead an amazing play?
PITT: Because he's... The Captain.
Me: Hey, where'd you come from?
PITT: I'm one of the people the Steinbrenners hired to talk up Jeter to prove to society that not all Yankees are jerks.
Me: That explains a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment